The purpose of this job is to assist with coordinating and administering the County’s development regulations and zoning ordinance, to assist with the preparation and updating of the County’s comprehensive plan, to provide technical advice to the Board of Commissioners, Planning Commission and Board of Appeals, and to provide other planning services to ensure the County’s
compliance with state and local planning laws. Duties are performed under the administrative direction of the County Planner and technical direction of the Board of Commissioners, Planning Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals.
This position is a full-time position. By signing the job description, the employee agrees and understands that this position is covered by Civil Service. This position will be eligible for standard benefits such as health / life insurance, annual leave, sick leave, participation in the County’s retirement program, etc. afforded to County employees who meet the minimum full-time employee
requirements as outlined in the County’s Employee Benefit Guide.
The following duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned. In order to qualify, applicants should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Assists with coordination of review and approval of rezoning applications; duties include, but are not limited to, assisting in application preparation; preparing legal advertisements; preparing zoning signs; drafting property owner notification letters; coordinating rezoning review process and coordinating public hearings.
- Interprets, explains, and enforces the County’s zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations, investigates zoning complaints, notifies owners of violations, issues citations for unresolved violations, and testifies in court.
- Reviews and approves or denies plats in small subdivisions.
- Prepares and proposes amendments to zoning ordinance and subdivision regulations.
- Prepares applications for Developments of Regional Impact and performs other planning duties to coordinate the County’s planning activities with regional and state governmental agencies.
- Assists with updating, amending, and implementing the County’s Comprehensive Plan and other planning documents.
- Research state planning laws and national trends in planning and community development in order to maintain knowledge of the planning profession in local government.
- Confers with property owners, developers, contractors, engineers, and the general public to explain the County’s zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations, planning policies and development procedures.
- Performs special projects and research activities for the department director or County officials.
- Confers with and advises the Planning and Zoning Commission on all matters related in County planning activities; provides professional support to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals, including the preparation of meeting agendas.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the general public.
- Perform clerical duties in accepting applications, fees, and issuing receipts.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.