Chief Building Official
City of Perry Department of Community Development
Term of Appointment:
Twelve (12) months
GENERAL NATURE OF WORK:
The Chief Building Official administers and enforces various City of Perry and State of Georgia codes regulating the construction, use and occupancy of buildings and structures, and directs the Building Codes Division of the Department of Community Development. Supervises and performs inspections of residential, commercial, industrial and other buildings during and after construction to ensure code compliance. Performs related administrative, supervisory and technical work as required. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Director of Community Development, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative.
The following functions are intended to illustrate the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Plans, directs and supervises all activities of the Building Codes Division including plan review, building inspection,and code enforcement,ensuring compliance with all applicable City policies and procedures, and other laws, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Issues development-related permits and certificates of occupancy.•Interprets building codes and regulations.•Interacts with contractors, design professionals, real estate professionals, and citizens regarding code requirements, and permitting/inspection processes.
- Develops, implements, and modifies as necessary all office policies and procedures pertaining to building inspection and plan review; evaluates and recommends changes in the City’s ordinances related to building inspection and permitting.
- Responsible for hiring, reviewing, monitoring, training, and disciplining of assigned staff.•Acts as liaison to the Board of Adjustment and Appeals.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including project management.
Work is conducted approximately equally outdoors, in all types of weather conditions, and in an office environment.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
Supervises Building Codes Division staff,including Code Enforcement,consultants, and contract employees; supervisory duties include planning, assigning, and reviewing for completeness and accuracy the work of subordinates; maintaining standards and consistency; allocating personnel; recommending new employees; acting on employee problems, and recommending employee discipline and discharge; training and providing professional development opportunities for subordinates.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Architecture, Building Sciences, Construction Management,or similar degree with six years of experience as an architect, engineer, building contractor, or building inspector with at least two years of supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be certified or able to obtain the Building Official Certification (International Code Council) within 12 months of hire. Must be able to maintain required number of CEU’s as directed by the State of Georgia to remain certified as a Building Official.
- Must possess a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Pre-employment, post-accident, and random drug testing is required for this position.