This position is responsible for the examination of drawings to ensure compliance with the City’s zoning ordinance requirements and development standards, performs field inspections and enforces the City Code. This position also provides technical assistance on the Zoning ordinance to the public.
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews site plans to determine compliance with City Zoning ordinance requirements and development standards.
- Enforces City Code related to land use, development standards, building, life safety, fire safety issues as well as Federal and State regulations when issuing permits.
- Answers questions from the public about the site plan review process, permitting processes, variance process, and ordinance.
- Provides land use and development standards code interpretations to architects, engineers, contractors, and citizens and other city departments.
- Prepares zoning confirmation letters and zoning information requests.
- Attends meetings about upcoming developments with engineers, architects, property owners, contractors and developers.
- Serves as City representative for the Board of Zoning Appeals, Historic Review Board and Historic Preservation Commission meetings.
- Coordinates with other City departments to address issues related to land use and development standards, building, life safety and fire safety code compliance.
- Researches and compose variance reports for the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Compiles a list of all site plans reviewed for the month for the month end report.
- Conducts field inspections as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture; with two years of experience in examining building or construction plans; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Requires Certification by the International Code Council in Zoning and Building Plans Examiner or the ability to obtain within 12 months of employment. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.