Thank you for your interest in Georgia planning & zoning matters, including the Georgia Association of Zoning Administrators (GAZA).
Please note that the August 2020 GAZA conference has been cancelled out of an abundance of caution regarding to the current public health. The next GAZA conference will be held in February 2021 in Athens at the UGA Center for Continuing Education.
Planning & Zoning 101
All appointed board and commission members (existing and new), local government staff and elected officials should attend this training.
This is a solid introduction to the basics of what planning and zoning are.
You will learn:
- what the roles in the local government planning and zoning processes are (citizens, applicants, planning commission/planning commissioners, planning and zoning staff, and elected officials)
- what state laws are applicable to the work Planners and Zoners do
- what the job is and how to do the job
- how to interpret and use the city/county comprehensive plan to make land use decisions
- why the plan is the anchor of those decisions
- how to use the local ordinance and the plan to make the decisions
- how to plan for the future: demographic and land use trends as well as population projections and asset-based planning.